5.09.2013

Lana Del Rey - Young & Beautiful


My song of the week, or rather… of the past few weeks since it has been released: Lana Del Rey’s ‘Young & Beautiful’. Off the soundtrack to Baz Luhrmann’s ‘The Great Gatsby’ movie adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s famous novel. Baz Luhrmann, also known for his two great films ‘Moulin Rouge!’ and ‘Romeo + Juliet’.


The soundtrack has been released through Interscope Records on May 6, 2013. The soundtrack saw Jay-Z as its executive producer, for the film as well, and Anton Mosted as the main producer. It also features new tracks from Florence & The Machine, Fergie, Jay-Z, Nero, Will-I-Am and The xx. I was surprised to see a cover version of Amy Winehouse’s ‘Back To Black’ by Beyoncé and Andre 3000 on the soundtrack and Beyoncé’s ‘Crazy In love’ by Emeli Sande, also U2’s ‘Love Is Blindness’ by Jack White. No question why Beyoncé appears twice on this soundtrack, I see you Jay-Z.


Lana Del Rey’s track is the lead single to the soundtrack and rightfully so. It was written by film director Baz Luhrmann, Rick Nowels and artist Lana Del Rey. What makes me love this song more is that there is an orchestral version as well, accented by exceptional violins. The lyrics epitomise the love Daisy Buchanan has for Jay Gatsby and his fabulous millionaire lifestyle. I’d say it brings me to tears… but that’s just me over reacting, obviously. The movie hits our cinema’s May, 17. So be sure to go check it out. I definitely will. 


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment